Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Do you remember?

Today is the 11th anniversary of Sept 11th. It is hard to believe that it has been so long yet those memories of that day are as fresh in my mind as talking to my daughter yesterday. I was a Jr in high school that day and sitting in Biology 2. We were working on something with our partners and coach was sitting on his computer up front. I remember him saying something was wrong, but he refused to turn on the tv or the radio as class was just about over. My next class was a history class so my teacher asked us if we knew what was going on and we took a vote on whether or not we wanted to watch the news. I remember sitting in the dark room, quiet, and glued to the tv. At the time my dad was a recruiter for the Army and we lived far away from any military base. The only person in my class who knew anything about the Army was another girl named Ashleigh. Her dad was active duty when she was younger and I do believe at the time was in the national guard. Our teacher talked to us about what might happen and after that class was over I had lunch. I stood in line waiting to use the payphone and called my ma to ask her if she knew what they would be doing with my dad. I was no stranger to moving so I was expecting her to say something like,"well your dad got orders and we are going to xyz." It didn't happen that way though. He was able to finish his time out as a recruiter and I was able to graduate from that school. During graduation the next year one class mate wasn't able to walk across the stage and throw his cap in the air with the rest of us. See he had already went to boot camp between our Jr and Sr year so come Jan he was called to active duty and left high school behind. In May when we were all receiving our diploma's he was already in Iraq fighting the war against terrorism. Though I didn't know my husband then he also was already in Iraq as well. It is so hard to think about how many people have had their lives changed thanks to this war. My dad went to Iraq just weeks after I had my daughter. I remember the night we dropped him off to say goodbye I begged him to promise to come back. I told him he was the only grandpa she had left and she needed him. He did make it back home, but he has never been the same. Days before his unit was supposed to come home from their one year long stint he and several others were hit by an IED. Not everyone lived, some lost limbs, and I thank God everyday he allowed my dad to come home to us. He definitely sustained many physical injuries, but the mental ones are the ones that are hard to deal with. Later that same year at 21 I sent my first husband off to war. I was left at home alone with a almost 2 year old and newborn son. I made it through that year somehow, but to be honest I am not sure exactly how. My ex husband saw many many horrible things as most service members who go to war do. He came back a very changed person and so much so that it was best for everyone if the marriage ended.

Six years after Sept 11th I had already filed for divorce and was trying to move on with my life. Since I was now a single mom of 2 with a full time job I turned to online dating as a way to meet people. I only went on one date believe it or not. That date changed everything. It was the date where I met Shaun. He was amazing even from the beginning. I  ran late because of work and I am sure he thought I was standing him up. I remember pulling into the parking lot and seeing him sitting on the bench with roses. When I walked up to him I thought to myself this wasn't real. Sure enough it was. We had an amazing dinner not because the food was great or anything, but because the conversation flowed so easily. He said he would call as he walked me to my car and he did! We went on a date a few days later and then he met the kids shortly after that. Looking back at it now I could see how some would say we moved so quickly, but all I have to say is we both had failed marriages before so we knew what we wanted. Five years later here we sit married for just about 4.5 years and happier than we have ever been. Sure things haven't worked out the way we planned, but in reality when do they ever? We are about to start a new adventure together and I can't wait to see what life holds for us in paradise.

Peace & Love,
Mrs.C

No comments:

Post a Comment